What We Believe
What we believe
Statement of faith:
Christians (even those who are within the same church) do not always agree on every detail of what they believe. We would perhaps be rather boring people if we did! But Hesters Way Baptist Church stands for a set of core beliefs, things that we believe all Christians must agree with if they want to be disciples of Jesus. We believe that:
* The Holy Bible is the inspired Word of God. It does not just contain stories of God or words about God but is itself the Word of God. Because of this The Bible is our final authority, it is where we look to decide all matters of faith and behaviour. (See 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21).
* God is present in three "Persons" (or forms if you find that easier!), God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. (See Matthew 3: 16, Matthew 28:19).
* God is the creator and He has a plan for His world which shows his Sovereignty, Holiness, Love and Grace. His care for us and the Redemption He offers us demands a personal response from us. (See Ephesians 1:11, 1 John 4: 10, John 3: 16).
* Everybody has sin in their lives and none of us can have fellowship with God or enjoy the life He offers us until we experience a "New Birth". (See Romans 5: 12-21, John 3; 3-8).
* We experience the "New Birth" through the work of the Lord Jesus Christ and can have it only by faith, not by any works or personal effort on our part. (See Romans 5: 1-2, Ephesians 2: 8, 9).
* It is the work of the Holy Spirit in us which brings us to the point of "New Life" and conversion and He helps us to go on living more closely with God day by day. (See John 16: 8 to 15, Ephesians 2: 1-10).
* Jesus is central to our faith because:
1: He is truly divine, the Son of God (See Colossians 2:9)
2: He was born by the will of God to a virgin and without inherited sin (see Matthew 18-25)
3: While being truly God He was also fully man and lived a perfect Manhood (see Luke 2).
4: His teachings have absolute authority and are infallible (See John 8: 26-28).
5: He finished the work of Atonement for sinners by His death as our substitute. (See Matthew 20:28, Matthew 26: 28, 1 Timothy 2: 5, 6).
6: He overcame death and was bodily Resurrected and Ascended into Heaven. (See 1 Corinthians 15: 3-5, Acts 1: 9-11).
7: He works today as our go-between, interceding for us with God the Father (See Hebrews 7: 25)
8: He will come again as He has promised (See John 14:3, Acts 1: 11, 1 Thessalonians 4: 14-18).
9: He will ultimately judge the world for sin. (See Acts 17: 30-31, Matthew 13: 24-30 and 36-43).
* When we have faith in Jesus we share in Eternal Life and the resurrection of the body. (see 1 Corinthians 15: 51-57).
* The Church of Jesus Christ is made up of all those who, confessing their sin and repenting before God, have put their faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and been born again by the work of the Holy Spirit. (See 1 Corinthians 12:12 & 13, Ephesians 1: 22-23, John 10: 16).